We focused on designing our primers and part for PHB this week. First, using the Calgary 2017 team’s phasin and secretion system part (BBa_K934001) as a basis, we added a FLAG tag upstream of the Hly-A coding region. Our research assistant, Seb, and our teaching assistant, Tian, emphasised the importance of being able to purify and later quantify the amounts of phasin produced. Next, with the help of Seb and Tian, we designed a set of primers designed to amplify this part and produce versions with varying RBS types. Rather than ordering four versions of each part, we designed the following types of primers: a forward primer, with a unique restriction enzyme site present in the Tokyo 2012 PHB plasmid and one of four RBS types; and a reverse primer, with another unique restriction enzyme site. We made versions with a non-functional RBS as a negative control (called DeadRBS), as well as with B0030, B0034, and B0035, which have varying strengths and are present in the iGEM registry. We made two copies of the forward and reverse primer sets: one with SpeI and PstI sites, and one with BstBI and BstAPI sites. As such, if one of the sets proved problematic when we later ligated our phasin part into the PHB plasmid, the other could be used as an alternative. Given the timeframe of our project, this would also allow us to continue without restarting entirely.